You are not signed in. Log in or Register
May 11th, 2014

Z33K.com is shutting down on May 25th.

When my brother Max and I set out to make tournaments more accessible in 2010, we never expected the project to be so successful. After thousands of tournaments, 100,000+ players, and 385,546 tournament registrations, it is time for us to move on. There are too many stories to share here, but we will always be grateful for the opportunity to interact with a diverse group of competitive gaming communities, tournament organizers, volunteers, coaches, shout casters, and gamers from all over the world.

While Z33K has always been free, we do not have time or resources to actively drive the project forward. If someone is interested in taking over the project, feel free to contact lane@z33k.com.

gg,
Lane and Max
Z33K.com Founders

tips to start casting ?

4 post(s), 2 voice(s)

I want to get in to casting any ideas on where to start and how to get views ?

FYI – writing this out as a general help post about casting.

so lets get the obvious out of the way…

1… creating an acount with a streaming site like (justin.tv, ustream, livestream)

2… downloading software to stream with, example (xsplit) and learning how to use said software

alright next is some stuff you can do as homework. in fact I would kind of treat the next couple steps like a hobby.

3… make yourself familiar with where, when and who is casting tournaments, showmatches, etc… and try and learn what they do. ask about equipment, software, overlays, music, how did they get started, etc… and it doesn’t hurt to offer your sevices as a co caster or try and offer your streaming abilities to tourny admins and showmatch admins.

you can apply to have your stream shown live on z33k.com by going to this link.
http://www.z33k.com/live/new

4… you can submit a request on teamliquid.com here – http://www.teamliquid.net/video/newstream.php
for your stream to be listed on its site.

5… decide what you want to cast. are you more interested in casting (a)tournaments? (b)showmatches? or ©are you looking to stream your own ladder games?

a… tournaments are probably the easiest way to get views. all that is needed is a tourny admin to run the tourny while you cast it.
my advice in this front is to make a snazzy looking thread on TL to advertise your tournament where you can list all aspects of your stream, etc. then the players in the tournaments themselves provide the viewership. players love to be casted while in a tournament. its the number 2 reason why players watch/play in a tournament (behind having a prize). not only can players go back to the vod to see how their game was cast, they have a chance to show thier peers their style of play which is something some players can’t otherwise do because of lack of equipment, lack of time, you get the picture.

b…showmatches are a little more difficult. not only is the streaming market just a bit flooded with these kind of streams, you would probably need 2 extra people to help organize such a task. also keep in mind that high ranking players want to know what the showmatch is for? is it for charity? for a prize? are you promoting something they can climb on board for?

c…streaming your own ladder games is definitely the hardest for anyone who isn’t known already in the ladder/streaming arena. this probably will feel more like a job than the other two combined. you want consistancy, consistancy, consistacy. also? why would anyone watch you? are you giving prizes for subscription goals? are you casting your games because you are hilariously funny when you cast your own games? I guess its feasible that you want to cast for the heck of it.

whatever the reason is you decided to go into casting, your biggest asset in getting viewership is making your stream as accessible as possible. get to know the tourny schedule on z33k. look at the Teamliquid tournaments section. keep an eye out for clans that are using tournaments to recruit. keep an eye out for the admins in the chat channels. all of these things will become second nature in the world of the budding caster.

last but not least, are you involved in the community of starcraft in any other way? are you involved in the gaming world in your local community? barcrafting? internet cafe’s? doesn’t hurt to check around.

• Demon_cat

And i am interested in showmatches and tournaments

Wow.. Thank you so much. Just about the greatest advice for this so far i’ll be sure to try this out once again thank you so much